Check out these upcoming events at iTHINK Financial.
27 Questions to Ask Before and During a Meeting with Your Financial Advisor
By: iTHINK Financial | Apr 10, 2018
What to Ask Your Financial Advisor and Yourself
Meeting with a financial advisor is the first step towards taking charge of your financial future. Whether you’re looking to retire at 55 and travel the world, getting a late start on your investments and want to know your options or simply looking to build your portfolio with a sound strategy, asking the right questions can help you find the best advisor for you and your financial goals.
But remember, although your advisor is providing a service, that doesn’t mean you don’t play an important part in the process. In fact, some of the most important questions to ask aren’t directed towards your advisor at all. You’ll need to ask yourself some tough questions as well before you get on the road to retirement readiness.
Looking for where to start? Here are 27 questions to ask yourself and your financial advisor.
Questions to Ask Yourself
- Am I getting married in the near future?
- Is my family growing with children or grandchildren?
- Are my kids going to college in the near future?
- When do I want to retire?
- What are my current assets and liabilities?
- What is my current income? What are my current expenses?
- What is my future income? What are my future expenses?
- Am I saving for a house or my children’s education?
- Do I want to pay down my debt?
- Am I starting a new business?
- When do I want to retire?
- Am I planning my estate for future generations?
- Do I need a financial advisor?
- How much risk am I willing to take?
- How much do I want to be involved in developing my investment strategy and portfolio?
- Do I have a 401(k) or other retirement savings account?
Questions to Ask Your Financial Advisor
- What is your investment philosophy?
- What are your credentials?
- What services do you provide?
- How are you compensated?
- Are you a fiduciary?
- How often will you contact me about my investments?
- If you retire, what happens to my investments?
- How often will you provide me with updates on my portfolio?
- How much money will I need to retire?
- How should I prepare to handle healthcare needs and costs after retirement?
- What do I need to know about my mortgage, social security benefits or required minimum distributions?
Preparing to meet with your financial advisor is often just as important as the meeting itself. With this starter guide, you’ll have a base of questions to get you better acquainted with your finances, your goals and your financial advisor.
Not a Member? Join us today!
It's easy to join! Apply for your lifetime Membership with iTHINK Financial in about 10 minutes.